We stayed for 10 weeks and felt right at home in this comfortable and well-equipped 3-bedroom condo. Here’s what we especially liked:
1. The view... the ocean is ever changing and the views from the oceanside are breathtaking. We also liked that the tops of the palm trees are just opposite our windows, eight stories up, our own private windsocks! Added bonus is the mountain view from the land-ward side. You don’t realize how close and dramatic the mountains are until you get here.
2. The beds... as comfy as home! We slept well, and loved the sound of the ocean which carries to the 8th floor.
3. The kitchen.. nothing fancy, but very well equipped with all the dishes, pots and pans and small appliances you need to cook everything from roasts to pies to smoothies.
4. The layout of the whole condo... very comfortable gathering in the great room, large and private bedrooms. We were just the two of us sometimes, and sometimes had as many as 4 family members visit for a week at a time.
5. The neighborhood... this is ‘the country’, not the urban and touristy city/beach. On your way here, you will even see nimby signs saying “Keep the country country!” Close by are many things to do... surfing (or watching surfing) on the North Shore, learning about all the Pacific Islands at the Polynesian Cultural Center, golfing either at the very local muni course (Kuhuku) or the fancy resort (Turtle Bay). Kualoa Ranch is just down the road a ways. (Check it out for traditional Hawaiian farming tours, or movie set tours or zip lining.) Of course you do need a car, and there is one space allocated for it on the property.
6. About the outdoors... this is called the windward side for a reason! Nonetheless, even when there are high surf warnings, the offshore reef keeps the inshore water calm enough for swimming. If you snorkel, look for Hawaii’s state fish, the humuhumunukunukuapua’a. He’s shy, but beautiful. And we have occasionally seen green turtles come by.
7. Last, but not least, we like our host, Linda Moorehead. She was immediately responsive to questions and any glitches that came up. We shared a fun lunch with her one day and learned a lot about Hawaii and our neighborhood. She will take good care of you!