Even though the hotel is undergoing a major HVAC/AC construction project, it was wrong of the hotel to rent certain rooms. The lady at the desk said the room we booked was no longer available and she was giving us an "upgrade". When we walked into our room, we were overwhelmed with a pungent mildew smell and noticed a dehumidifier in the room. We immediately requested another room. The next room was on the second floor and directly below the first room. The TV remote was broken which was replaced. The room appeared okay at first, however there was a dehumidifier in this room also. We weren't able to sleep well because the A/C stopped blowing cold air and we woke in the middle of the night sweating. We reset the A/C and it then worked okay. At 3am, the alarm on the dehumidifier went off an we had to get up and replace the full tank of water. Laying in bed, unable to sleep then, we heard dehumidifier alarms go off in two other rooms. The next day after coming back from the beach, we realized the refrigerator and microwave were not working and we had to throw away food we had bought. The ceiling of the room was wet and we then noticed there was mold on the ceiling and walls! Maintenance workers said almost all the rooms had dehumidifiers in them. The visible mold is very likely a safety hazard. The free happy hour, for beer, only gave on choice, Bud Light. The breakfast food was poor to fair at best, however the wait staff at the restaurant were so pleasant and kind!